Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Art of the Evening


The number one thing a psychologist does is observe. I keep my eyes open to the world around me. This is a painting I did. The eye sees many colors, many shapes, and many sizes. Some parts of life are abstract, and others are more straight-forward. Sometimes parts of life find themselves out of place, like the green olive-like sphere apart from the others similar to it in the upper left-hand corner. What do you see in life? What is your perspective? How do you react to this perspective? I study psychology for a living. The functions of the human mind are individual, and the actions we all take because of that mind are just as individual. This painting is abstract, just like the human mind and human lives are abstract. I express myself through many mediums, painting is one of them. Life is what you make of it. You can see every moment as glorious, or from a more pessimistic point of view, or anywhere inbetween. I see the world around me. I study it. It's all about how you see things, and seeing is believing.
This is one of my favorite paintings I've done. There's a large contrast of colors elaborately placed, and the shading and mixing of areas communicates some level of definition. Some of the paint is thin, some of the strokes, very thick. This painting has a little bit of what my life is. It is unpredictable, generally not very straightforward, fairly spontaneous, and sometimes thought provoking. There's no end to the level of interpretations one can make from life, or this painting. I just try to enjoy every moment, just as I enjoy the placement of each color I distribute from my paint brush. Life is a canvas, and I intend on exploring all the possibilities it has to offer.

1 comment:

jason said...

I enjoyed this blog not only for the art piece that was created by Messick. I like how he explained his creation and how it not only applies to him personally but how it can also be conceived by us viewers. I hope to read more posts like this one.